Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The moment we fear!

We came face to face with one of our biggest fears last night.

I call this terrifying post: illness in the home. (Cue the background music: dun dun dun)

Madelynne wasn't feeling great Sunday evening after waking from her 4hr nap, she ate dinner and we all sat on the front porch to watch Santa visit our neighborhood on the firetruck. She seemed to be in good spirits, just really sleepy.



Monday morning, I met her in the stairwell shivering, as soon as I touched her skin I knew she had a fever.. I tucked her into my bed with daddy and Meds and went to work.. The day continued much the same, little complaints but persistent fever. When I got home and snuggled my sick little girl in my lap for a movie, my heart began to beat harder. AK gave her next dose of Motrin (she's been alternating every 3hr between Tylenol and Motrin) and an hour later, she was consistently maintaining a 103temp.

I told AK something didn't seem right. But we both couldn't put our finger on what it could be! After all, the only thing Mady said hurt was her eyebrow (that must be 5yo code for headache, which I personally found adorable in a sad way).
The hour passed and both girls were getting ready for bed. I took her temp one more time and it only dropped a degree. Finally, I threw in the towel. I ordered AK to get Mady dressed for me while I got things together.. And off to KidMed we went.  I just needed to know what it was.. if she needs an antiobiotic or something, I would prefer to start it now vs going all night miserable and battling a fever. I also needed to know what it was so I could protect Annabelle if need be.

We arrived at KidMed.
15 minutes later, the flu. Oh my dear heavens, the flu is in my house!! I swear when I say I couldn't breathe and the panic that tore across my face was real, it happened. The sweet doctor assured me that everything was fine and Mady would be better in no time with Tamiflu. My stomach sank as I squeezed my sick little girl in my arms but my heart raced, "oh god, Annabelle cannot get this. I've been told by numerous doctors, protect her from illnesses and the flu. These kids survive a long time, but not without diligent effort of keeping them well and isolated during flu and cold season."
The doctor and I discussed the pros and cons of Tamiflu for a short while and finally we headed home. 

I got Mady in the shower while AK picked up the prescription... $250 for ONE prescription of Tamiflu. One. A week before Christmas and we can't even negotiate with the cost of getting this virus out of our house for the safety of our kids... But a price tag of $1,000 for the family?! We just can't afford it. We only purchased Mady's :(

My mind raced and I went into full panic mode. The only person that would understand and be able to talk me thru this sudden news was our doctor, I texted her and she called right away.. At 10pm. We discussed multiple situations and ultimately Tamiflu. The ingredients are dangerous to Annabelle's system. We have no idea how she will filter and process the drugs. We're also terrified of the side effects of Tamiflu. But the virus itself is life threatening. Talk about weighing evil to evil!

We decided to begin Annabelle on the meds, and not just proactively; we are treating her as if she already has the flu. Her body does not and will not show symptoms like anyone else with the flu. For all we know, she could be the one that started it and that could be why she isn't eating and cranky. No idea. AK picked up her prescription this morning and hopefully it begins to do it's job.


In the meantime our entire house is on quarantine. We are flooding every surface area with lysol and disinfectant cleaner. My home has never been so clean :) The girls are separated from one another and we're praying... praying hard. I have to work so AK is staying home with the girls. We are doing everything to protect ourselves from getting sick. We are doing everything we know to keep Annabelle in a bubble and watching her like a hawk. And we're praying Madelynne's fever breaks asap! Poor poor babies. This is the moment we've feared, God please watch over our house and rid these yucky germs from my family soon!!! After all, It's Christmas Time and we have big plans for this week!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment