Thursday, April 3, 2014

1 Year After Diagnosis

I remember the day Annabelle was diagnosed like it was yesterday. I remember the chilly cold morning, I remember the nauseating anticipation of the surgeon calling me. I remember the sleepless nights leading up to that phone call. I knew for certain that if we were told our daughter had Eosinophilic Esophaghitis, then our life of happiness as we knew it, would be over.

A year later I sit and reflect to that day. I want to shake myself so badly for those wasted days of assuming only the worst. I wish more than anything in this world I could go back to myself the days prior to that life-changing phone call and soak in the feeling of still having hope. To have another moment of belief that perhaps Annabelle wouldn’t be labeled with this disease.

I wish I could go back to the day we heard those words from the GI and tell myself ‘this isn’t the worst.. prepare yourself mama, the ride is about to get more bumpy and windy than you ever thought..’ While that doesn’t sound encouraging – I wish I could have opened my eyes a bit wider than they were that day. My heart closed tight and my mind hid under a rock of disbelief. I convinced myself it couldn’t get any worse. That wrongful assumption led me to continuously get knocked down with every single curve-ball Annabelle has thrown over the last year.  
Somehow we’ve pushed thru the fears, fought back the tears, ignored the pain and managed to wear smiles while continuing to raise our family. We have no choice but to continue moving forward and praying harder and harder when things seem to be the most out of our control. This past year has taught our family more than we ever imagined. It’s taught us about love, faith, frustration and patience. It’s taught both our daughters to trust and support one another, to love their mommy and daddy individually and to trust in God to keep our family safe. Annabelle’s strength and journey has taught both our children and friends and family that we are not all the same, kids/babies get very sick, health is something to be thankful for and sometimes prayers provide more answers than doctors do.

Here is a recap of our last year. There were some amazing good times and also its share of hard times. There were many moments when Annabelle spiraled away from us so quickly, we feared the worst. I am blessed we have made it this far.


Warning: This video does share graphic images and painful videos, please watch at your own discretion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment