Thursday, May 30, 2013

Belle's Update and Ashley's Ranting

Day 6 and Day 7 have been tough on Annabelle, she can't seem to kick this cough that is going on. It's not getting worse anymore but it's also not improving. We are still continuing the nebulizer treatments and hope that they will start to provide her some relief. The cough is pretty persistent when she is awake, though fortunately it is NOT keeping her up at night so we all have a bit more patience than we otherwise would.

I have spent the last several days on the phone fighting with pharmacies, doctors offices and my insurance company. Suddenly, two prescriptions at CVS and our PPI at the Compounding Pharmacy; all require a pre-authorization by a physician to the insurance company to approve the REFILL. This has never been an issue before and now I cannot get my hands on her prescriptions until all these phone calls and thumbs up take place. I take that back.. I CAN pickup the prescription, for the lovely price of $487 w/insurance.. that's only one.. and at CVS, I don't want to know what they would all be together, let alone how much the compounded script is.

Annabelle needs these meds though, they're the top three most important meds on her list.
  • Pulmicort, liquid prednisone that is used to coat her esophagus to help stop the inflammation.
  • Periactin, an allergy medication that we use for two reasons. 1) Helps calm the seasonal allergy flares. 2) Boosts her appetite so we can make sure she is taking in enough formula each day to maintain her weight.
  • Omeprazole, PPI used to treat GERD / reflux. When the reflux isn't controlled, it can easily irritate the EoE in the bottom area of the esophagus and not allow things to heal.
Without these particular meds, Annabelle is uncomfortable and the EoE will likely flare again, very easily and very quickly. I've been battling these phone calls to have this taken care of since May 14th.. it's been over two weeks and I am very close to just paying out of pocket for all the meds so Annabelle will feel better. We've run out and time is ticking! What happens though, to people that truly cannot afford to spend $1,500 on three prescriptions?! How do you look at your child and tell them that you cannot at LEAST give them the meds to make them feel SLIGHTLY better.. they're already miserable with no end in sight to this ordeal, but to be told we cannot afford the med that at least helps?! God what is this world coming to.

AK and I are very responsible with our money. Extremely responsible. We had plans to move from our current home and find a home that better fit our family. We understood our finances well and were saving to make this transition.. then life happened. And life didn't just happen and throw us curve balls. Insurance companies and hospital bills began serving every single bill with big numbers and comma's! Within a year of our sweet Annabelle being born, we had more medical bills than you can ever imagine!! When Annabelle was placed on Elecare formula at 3 weeks old, and the doctor informed us that this particular formula is not purchased in stores, it has to be delivered by a medical supplier.. we knew we were in trouble.


This is one months worth of formula. $3,192


The price you pay to be sick is outrageous. As if being sick was something people asked for.. they don't want to feel this way and the LAST thing they deserve is to drown in debt because of it! It's happening though.

Thank God, and all the heavens above that AK and I have good jobs - not above and beyond jobs, but enough to keep the lights on and food on the table for our children. We work very hard for what we can provide and we work even harder to ensure our children are healthy.. but it's impossible to stay ahead when medical expenses are beyond out of control! So many people CANNOT handle this. Many, many children require their parents to stay home. And many, if not most days, I feel guilty for having to take my baby to a sitter when I know she is clearly in pain, not feeling well or just needing extra time at home with Lambie and momma - it kills me that I cannot be there for her. But I cannot-not work. I work to pay doctor bills, I work to carry insurance and I have to be 100% focused and present at my job to continue to do well. I have no choice. I am blessed with a job and I will continue to push my 40hrs/wk, but everyone is not so fortunate and I just cannot imagine what that is like. My heart pours for those in their situation :(

Medical Bills Cause 62% of Backruptcies. Did you know that? I used to not understand how people could go bankrupt.. are they that irresponsible? are they that negligent? where are their priorities? why don't they just work?
And then I found myself with an unexpected flood of medical bills and with my head spinning and eye-balls crossing, I said outloud "How do people afford this? We're going to drown!" And that(!).. Is exactly how it happens. Staring at a screaming baby that needs a prescription, and you spend $1,500 to provide them with the relief they deserve... that is EXACTLY what happens.
"Most medical debtors were well educated, owned homes, and had middle-class occupations. Three quarters had health insurance."


I am no longer surprised. I am not even shocked really. I didn't know it was possible to rob someone of $3,200/mo in formula that your baby needs to survive. This stuff isn't made of gold! They just know we have a child with special needs and therefore we WILL pay for it.

Wow Ashley, rant over. I'll step off my soapbox.. I have phone calls to make and insurance companies to bless out for my kiddo that's coughing up a lung... or esophagus.

I also need a glass of wine. . . . . that's ALWAYS in the budget, so don't judge ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment