Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Three weeks and still going down..




I hate to say, but we expected this to happen.
Annabelle isn’t improving, she’s declining and we are struggling to determine an explanation for it. There are so many variables involved that could explain her current condition that’s fogging our judgement on what is to blame. I hate that we began a new formula during a time she was possibly sick. I hate, hate, hate that. I expressed my concern when we made the change to Elecare, that this isn’t a very responsible time to do this but I also understood why it was so important to switch so quickly.

Annabelle’s cough hasn’t stopped, we’re now at week three of a persistent cough that has turned to choking and retching (trying to vomit). Her temperate has been fluctuating more frequently, and when it does, it happens very rapidly. I am very reluctant to offer any medication beyond her prescription meds, in fear it will irritate her temperatures and their erratic movement. She’s becoming more and more lethargic. She is laying down more frequently – laying on the couch/bed, not to be confused with sleeping, because that isn’t happening. She isn’t resting well. Her nights are completely variable if she is up crying in pain, screaming for help, moaning because she’s uncomfortable or if she sleeps the night thru and is groggy when woken in the morning. 


Madelynne’s birthday was this past weekend and we all had a wonderful time. We started Friday with Mady's spa day and Annabelle enjoyed herself a haircut beside her sissy. Saturday was party day! Annabelle however arrived at the party and persistently asked to go ‘Na-night’, AK laid her in the bed and she slept most the party away. She did wake towards the end of the party and tried playing for a short bit but it didn’t last as usual. She retreated back to anyone's arms that were willing to hold her and snuggled as she watched the party carry on. That evening she spent her time on the couch with no energy and cuddling with her ne-naw (my mom). Life moves on around Annabelle. She is the elephant in the room and we all watch with worry and pouring silent prayers as we see this beautiful two-year old unable to live the life she deserves. I live for the moments of watching her smile, laugh, dance around and have fun – but they never last.. not anymore at least. She only has enough stamina to play for a maximum of 30-45min and then spends the next several hours depleted of all energy and terribly uncomfortable. 


Sunday I made sure Annabelle stayed home with a big set of plans: rest, rest, rest. Do nothing but rest and sleep the day away. She did just that. 

Monday unfortunately wasn’t a better day. While I spent the weekend with silent worry while watching my daughter continue to decline, I wanted another perspective.. I wanted our nurse to spend some time with her, I wanted a second opinion, a skilled second opinion from someone who also spends a lot of time with Annabelle. It wasn’t a very good report. I missed several phone calls from our nurse that afternoon while I was at work, each message explained that Annabelle isn’t well. She’s very uncomfortable, nauseated, lethargic and even her stats are declining. We began a Pedialyte drip thru her tube Monday afternoon and have continued to push fluids by tube since she will not drink much of anything on her own. Her appetite is practically gone. We were challenged with the goal of three meals a day and two snacks to ensure Belle gets the calories / nutrients she needs but we haven’t been able to make that goal yet. Saturday she ate maybe a handful of food and hasn’t eaten anything really since. Last night I came home with a big, big surprise – I bought her some safe chips and prayed it would trick her into eating something. It worked. She ate about 4-5 of the chips and even a few bites of steamed veggies.. not much by any means but it was something, and for that I pray this is the beginning of a turn for the better. She drank maybe a cup and a half of fluid on her own yesterday, so that challenge is raised to two cups today. Fingers crossed!



We just don’t know what’s wrong. With her auto-immune disease in mind, part of me wonders if she’s just trying to recover from a virus she may have caught, or if she’s fighting a cold. Annabelle takes significantly longer than most others to fight anything that requires her immune system to work hard. My gut on the other hand has a really hard time not associating this with Elecare. I have read this chapter before, I’ve seen this side of my daughter far longer than I ever wished and I know just the moment when this behavior ended – it ended when we stopped feeding her Elecare. I have been told by so many Dieticians, nutritionists and doctors that Elecare is the safest nutrition for her and these side effects should not be associated with the formula. But I have a really hard time not making this connection. I want a REALISTIC explanation for why my child is so darn miserable!

I’ve left messages with our new GI for guidance, I wanted to wait as long as I could to eliminate any other variables that could explain why she’s struggling but at this point I think we’ve hit our threshold. Hopefully we make headway towards helping Belle feel better soon.I have no idea what that may involve, but I know the road we're on isn't working... here we go again - raising, caring and loving a child, completely blind and praying we don't do anything wrong. 

Prayers for answers ... please please please.




No comments:

Post a Comment