Sunday, June 28, 2015

Day 1: Surgery Prep

The first flight was delayed for over an hour due to the turbulence over the mountains. When it was finally time, Annabelle was so eager to get on the airplane that she completely forgot the purpose of our flight (thank goodness!)

We walked to our plane and I joked about the intense security (none) as I sipped my topped off coffee (more than 3oz mind you) and no one checked my bags, hehe. 


The pilot helped Annabelle climb into the plane and buckled her in safely, he climbed in next and finally it was my turn to walk on the wing and climb into a tight 4 seater airplane.. Terrifying at first but would quickly become my favorite flight this far in life. 






I think Annabelle's favorite part of the flight was the headset as she carried a conversation 8,000ft in the sky. 


The flight was amazing. So very different from a commercial flight but exhilarating. Annabelle did a wonderful job for the first hour but quickly became nauseated and uncomfortable. I gave her some medications and within a few minutes, the rumbling sounds of the plane and vibrations rocked her right to sleep. She got a solid hour at least of a nap. I on the other hand froze my tush off (no one warned me that air circulates off th wing into the jet on these planes and apparently air way above the clouds is like ICE! 



We arrived in Clarksburg WV for our second leg. It was pouring rain, freezing cold and overcast. I couldn't wait to get out of the city.

 Annabelle needed to potty - I took her and of course she didn't go. We met our second pilot and quickly boarded the plane. Cincinnati had already been calling because we were running late, though each time I called back - I spoke with a charge nurse and admitting but the messages just never seemed to be getting thru (it ended up not being a problem at all). 

The second plane was significantly larger but very very dated and scared the crud out of me. Now that we're on the ground, I can say it was the wildest roller coaster and SO fun! Annabelle squealed almost the entire flight with her arms up laughing. She seriously thought she was at a theme park on a ride. It was wild but fun. 



AK met us with the biggest smile as we walked out of the airport. Belle was so happy to see her daddy. While on the road she asked if we could just go home.. That's about the time when it hit her where we are...... With that said, pray for us - it hasn't been easy since arriving in the hospital.

Admitting was fast and efficient. 



Once settled into our room, Annabelle began crying to go home. She begged for any opportunity to leave. 

Since we were already a couple hours late - getting settled was very fast. We began an IV within 20m of getting to our room. The first stick, where I asked her to place it Bc it's our easiest guaranteed stick for an IV - the nurse got it but couldn't flush the site .. It was just bad placement. Annabelle was crying so hard to stop finagling the IV site that they finally asked me what I would like to do. I asked "do you think it will work thru tomorrow night for the surgery..?" They both said, not likely. So I asked to find a better spot. God I hate making those decision.. Ones that subject my baby to more and more pain - but it is what it is and these are the things I knew the week would be about ..... Unfortunately. 



Soon after the IV was set and fluids began, I started talking with doctors and nurses. Our intake and consults began this evening. When she asked if I brought any paperwork, labs or pathology reports with me, I was happy to produce my bibles:



She took all my books that are slammed full of relevant medical records for why we're here (the others are all at home) and had a field day with it. We came up with a game plan and Cincinnati Childrens strongly encouraged we perform the prep with their speciality treatments ... We are on the inpatient GI floor and have all the best of the best nurses and doctors right here that really understand a kid with GI issues. 

We began with Golytley (sp) at 200ml/hr via gtube/pump. For reference, I never feed Annabelle a fast feed over 120ml/hr. But somehow Annabelle is tolerating it! 

Around 6pm we began enemas and she fought that, screaming her heart out to stop. As soon as it was finished she asked if it got the booboos out of her tummy.. I said not yet sweetly, she responded "when they're gone, can I eat pizza like my friends?" My heart skipped a beat. 



Child Life came by and brought Annabelle some coloring supplies and also a doll to demonstrate the next procedure they would do, a Rectal Irrigation. Talk about nauseating and miserable to hold your baby down for. She looks traumatized, and she is. Apparently we will repeat this 15m process every hour if her vowels do not start working better on their own (knowing my kid... This is a likely scenario that I hate!) 

I am exhausted and can't stop thinking about Mady. 
Annabelle keeps asking if she can eat pizza since she's come to Cincinnati and been tortured. Little does she know, the real fun hasn't even begun. 
AK is exhausted from driving for two days. 

But we're together and were committed to making this week every bit of what Annabelle deserves from it. We just need a little rest first. 



Side Note; this hospital is insanely state of the art and beautiful. The TV is the smartest, coolest thing I've ever operated in my life. All the rooms and the hospital in general are decorated so fun for children and geared towards the future and making a difference. 



The nurses are angels and I know we're in great hands. Keep us in your prayers tonight. Pray for courage and strength for Annabelle tonight and please say the biggest prayer for a safe surgery tomorrow. 

Monday:
9am appointment with GI
12pm surgery begins 






1 comment: