Thursday, April 23, 2015

9 Days is too long

We are at Day 9 without a BM.

Annabelle's esophagus is covered with excruciating eosinophils, her stomach is ridden of gastritis, her feeding tube site is leaking and bleeding but none of those issues are our primary concern. Annabelle's lower GI system is failing faster and faster and our worry is escalating at the same speed. 

She's taking all her daily medications, in addition to the meds for her bowels. Over the last three days, her nurse and I have aggressively attempted to get the stool moving without any luck.

In addition to mineral oil, Miralax, stool softners and lots of fluids, two days ago we have her 4 laxatives followed by more Miralax. Nothing all day.
Yesterday she had more laxatives, milk of magnesia and finally 3/4 of an adult Fleet enema. She passed the smallest amount of stool and the fluid from the enema.
Hours later, nothing. 

The only BM she had last night was the liquid from the enema, with a strong - ammonia/vinegar-almost, odor to it. When I say strong, I mean strong! And strong that smells nothing like stool. I'm a mom, poop is second nature to me by now, but this isn't right. Something is very wrong. 

When my mommy radar goes off, I dive in like a hawk and just watch.. Absorb and try to read this beautiful mystery of a child I have.. I kept her close & Annabelle slept in the bed with me last night.  She snuggles up so close, my heart could burst with love for this sweet girl. 

Annabelle tossed and turned a lot during the night, but no BM. At 3:40am I woke from a dead sleep to my angel wretching/dry-heaving beside me. There is no rebound as fast as my feet hitting the floor and darting for the medical supplies. I needed to allow her stomach to relieve the pressure before she tears her esophagus and stomach open from her nissen. Annabelle was calm, half asleep and trying to breathe between wretching. She pulled her Jammies up as I turned on the light, so I could hook her Tubey up. 

The moment the 60cc syringe was opened, I kid you not, the built-up pressure from her stomach exploded from the tubing so loud and fast, the gastric fluid hit my ceiling, CEILING! Then next the wall and bed. Annabelle immediately exhaled a sigh of relief. There wasn't much on her stomach beside a small amount of her feed and some fluids I had given at 2am. Her stomach contained mostly bile, but contained so much gas. The smell from her stomach relieving pressure thru the tubing was almost as vile as the BM! After Annabelle calmed down, I allowed her to have some small sips of juice and she quickly fell back asleep. I proceeded to clean the ceiling and walls at 4am.

4:05am she began wretching again. This process went on about every 15-20min until 5:30am.



Annabelle is exhausted from her long night. As am I - neither of us can wait for daddy to finally get home. He's been traveling out of town for three weeks now! We are beat.

I've left a message for the GI doctor here in Richmond. We are out of all our options at home with Annabelle. I am almost certain the wretching/vomiting during the night is a reflection from being so full and unable to pass any stool.

Please pray for my little girl. I will keep you updated.









1 comment:

  1. You are SUPER MOM! And Annabelle is a strong strong little girl. Stronger than most adults I know! Praying for you both!

    ReplyDelete