Sunday, April 26, 2015

Packing for the hospital


Friday night seemed so promising. Just as AK and I were about to hit our wall, Annabelle finally began to have a BM, at least I thought she did. She passed a bit of fluid, extremely dark, almost black and again, did not smell anything like stool. It smelled like pure ammonia. We were hopeful this was a start though, Mady came running from her room with excitement "Good job Annabelle! You did it!". Annabelle was so proud of herself while I changed her diaper, "Can I eat mommy? Can I have chicken now?" She was so hungry. We didn't give her anything solid, but we did give her a cup of formula/medical food. Afterall, she certainly had not gotten everything 'out' so I didn't want to push the solids too quickly.

Saturday morning, still nothing more. AK took both girls to chick-fil-a and made good on his promise to her - Annabelle didn't miss a bite of that chicken. She was starving. The girls enjoyed themselves and we spent the rest of the rainy afternoon on poop watch. Nothing.

Today, Sunday, I woke with a heavy heart. What is wrong with my baby girl? Clearly she's miserable yet she's so strong and positive.
She is becoming weak and lethargic.
Her color is so pale - her skin is beginning to turn yellow.

Our friend came over this morning while Mady went to church (I couldn't convince myself to take Annabelle.. bc goodness knows she would begin the poop-a-thon in the nursery with another poor unfortunate soul!) Our friend, Amber, takes our families pictures and I asked that she take some fun pictures of Annabelle that we can use for our big surprise coming soon. Annabelle was a ball of energy and smiles. She is our little super hero and she loves the camera.



Soon after Amber left, Annabelle slid downhill. She has not had much of an appetite today - we aren't able to feed her much in general, but what we are offering, she has little interest in eating.



She's becoming terribly weak. I took Mady to her dance rehearsal while Annabelle stayed home sleeping. She's been asleep for over 4 hours now. I went into her room to grab some things to pack and she didn't roll over. It's times like these that terrify me the most. I want to shake and pick her up so I know she will open her eyes, but I won't. I will be waking her soon enough... when I go to tell her the bad news :( She is going to be heartbroken when I tell her we have to go to the hospital.

I called the GI at 4pm. We are now on Day 12 of no true BM. Day 4 of barely any solids. The doctor immediately instructed that she be admitted. I am packing our bags and the hospital will call when her bed is prepared and tell us where to report.

I have no idea what is wrong with my baby. I don't know why her GI system has begun to fail so suddenly and worst of all, we have no idea how to help her. Annabelle is so tough, but this life and her poor body is so unfair. Please, please keep her in your thoughts and prayers as you continue on this beautiful Sunday afternoon. I will keep you updated once Annabelle is settled in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment